Make sure you read the first part of the article – Teething is not always easy!
What can you do to help?
Parents, I understand why you want to help your teething baby as fast as possible because you feel for their pain, yet you seem powerless to help the little one you love.
Non-Pharmacologic Solutions to Soothe Teething
I wanted to give you some practical non-pharmacologic advice for when their symptoms start.
Depending on the type and intensity of the symptoms, your actions will vary.
If your baby has severe bum redness, use a zinc-based cream to help them reduce the reaction to the acidity in their stool. This thick cream will act as a protective barrier against the burning sensation felt during bowel movements.
To help their gums, here are a few suggestions:
- Use a clean, cold, wet facecloth to rub their gums softly. You can place a damp facecloth in the freezer for a few minutes to cool it down
- Teething rings are fine, but WARNING! Not any teething ring. You should buy a rubber one for biting. You can cool it down in the fridge. Avoid rings that are harder or that have liquid in them. the ring should not be too small and fully enter the baby’s mouth
- A teething necklace or bracelet made out of silicone, with a smooth surface, which they can bite. You can usually wash them in the dishwasher
- If the baby is older, homemade smoothies made into popsicles can help the baby both eat and soothe their teething pain due to the coldness on their gums
- Catnip and fennel, a natural product, can reduce teething swelling
- Camilia, a homeopathic product from Boiron, is made from camomile, grapes and rhubarb, and can be very useful. It doesn’t contain sugar, colourants, preservatives or anesthetics.
- It can help soothe pain, agitation, irritability and diarrhea. Camilia is sold in 1ml single-dose capsules.
- Pour the contents directly into the baby’s mouth when standing or sitting.
- You can give your child 3-6 doses over 24 hours for 3-8 days. Please read the label and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Camilia is not a new medication and has been sold in Canada for more than 20 years. It is a trusted product that is very popular with parents and caregivers.
- Given that every child and teething symptom is different from one baby to another, you may not be able to eliminate their discomfort totally. But if the intensity and symptoms are lower, the family can only benefit! 😊
Pharmacologic Solutions to Soothe Teething
Infant Tylenol can be used from time to time, especially when pain is more intense. The dosage will be based on their weight if taken recently. If not, it will be based on their age. Always follow the manufacturer’s dosage table when using this product.
Infant Advil can’t be used before six months and works like Tylenol, soothing pain. The anti-inflammatory effect is not effective if used over short periods infrequently. Always follow the instructions.
Homeopathic medications can be used at the same time as more traditional ones, as there are no reactions associated with them interacting. For example, you can combine Camilia and Tylenol during teething.
Read the last part of this article about Products to Avoid During Teething.