Another hot topic! We are always hearing talk in the news about bugs, mosquito, insect or tick bites that can transmit infections that can lead to health problems for the population, including pregnant women and young children. Even if most mosquito bites are harmless, they can lead to severe infections.
In this article:
- Natural protection from mosquitoes
- Protection from Using a repellent (or insecticide) for insects, mosquitoes and ticks
- Mosquito Repellent Products (Insecticides)
- How to apply mosquito repellent safely
Camping, going outside, heading to the country, a walk in the woods, a seaside vacation are all synonymous with an increased risk in getting bitten by a mosquito or tick! These insects vary depending on your location, climate and time of year. In Canada, cases of West Nile Virus, transmitted by mosquitoes, and Lyme Disease, which is transmitted by ticks, have been found. While they remain infrequent, these illnesses can pass without complications, but can also lead to severe reactions.
If you travel, risks increased based on exposure to other pathogen agents, such as:
- Malaria (mosquito bites)
- Zika (mosquito bites)
- Anaplasmosis (blood issue) caused by a tick bite
- Babesiosis (causing anemia) spread by ticks
While we can’t protect ourselves against potential infection (no vaccines), you can at least reduce the risks by protecting yourself in many ways.
Natural Protection from Mosquitoes?
These methods are useful for pregnant women and young children:
- Use a mosquito screen around the crib and cradle
- Wear long clothing to cover your skin as much as possible. Tight fabric around the neck, wrists, waists and ankles
- Wear closed shoes, tuck your shirt into your pants
- Wear light or khaki coloured clothing as they attract mosquitoes less
- Wear a hat and cover the back of your neck
- Avoid going outside when insects are most present (sunrise and sunset)
- Avoid wearing perfume
To continue reading, go to Using Repellents (or Insecticides) for Insects, Mosquitoes and Ticks.
This post is also available in: Français