I reheat my seven-month-old baby’s bottle and meals in the microwave. A friend told me that I shouldn’t do this. Why? Sacha
Good question, Sacha! Scientific research is still divided about the waves emitted by a microwave. However, according to Health Canada and the World Health Organisation, using a microwave is not dangerous for your health if used correctly and taking the proper precautions:
- Keep children at a distance when you use the microwave
- Always use containers that are microwave friendly
- Let liquids heated in the microwave sit
- Stir your microwave heated foods
- Use oven mitts or other protective items when removing dishes from the microwave
- Do not heat oil at high temperatures
- Do not use salt on your foods before cooking them, as they may dry out
The waves produced by a microwave do not make the oven or foods radioactive. When you stop the microwave, the waves disappear and do not remain in the foods or oven. Wait 10-30 seconds before exposing your child to food reheated in the microwave, because foods are not heated equally throughout. Letting them sit will allow the heat to distribute itself throughout the food and prevent possible burns.
Sacha, all the information that I consulted about microwaves recommend never heating a baby’s milk in a bottle in the microwave. This is also to prevent burns. Additionally, not all bottles and liners are microwave friendly. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?
At five or six months, your baby is ready to drink milk at room temperature, and by 10-12 months cold from the fridge. You don’t have long to worry about this as they are already seven months old.
I hope this has helped answer your question!
The Baby Expert
This post is also available in: Français