Make sure you read the first part called Sunscreen or no?
How can you protect a young baby from the sun? Here are a few practical ideas to protect your baby’s skin better:
- Avoid exposure to the sun between 10 am and 4 pm because the heat is higher. Stay in the shade, under a parasol, tree…
- Go out early in the morning and at the end of the afternoon when the sun is less intense
- Cover the baby with a cotton hat with a broad rim to keep their head cooler and prevent seborrhea dermatitis (cradle cap)
- Also cover their lower limbs, legs, and feet with a light blanket or long light clothing
- In the stroller, cover the opening with a sheet to keep the sun out
- After taking these steps, you can add the following precautions as needed:
- You can use a zinc oxide cream if they are going to be exposed to the sun (it remains on the skin’s surface for protection)
- You can now use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 15 or more for babies under six months of age, and 30+ for babies over six months. For children with lighter skin colour, increase the SPF to 40 or more
- Only apply the cream to exposed skin and never near their mouth or eyes
- If your baby is taking medication, check with a pharmacist to see if it increases skin sensitivity to the sun. If this is the case, use a higher SPF or just avoid sun exposure
- Apply the sunscreen at least 30 minutes before going out to ensure its highest effectiveness. Then repeat every two hours if continually exposed. When swimming, use a waterproof cream or lotion as it can last up to 80 minutes.
According to the Canadian Dermatology Association, price does not have an impact on the effectiveness of sunscreen for babies. Here are a few suggestions they make concerning products sold with dermatological approvals and standards.
- Aveeno Baby SPF 50 with mineral sunscreen
- Coppertone waterBabies SPF 60 sunscreen
And for sensitive skin:
- Avène and La Roche-Posay baby products protect very well
To continue learning about sunscreen, please read UV Index Protection Scale.
This post is also available in: Français