Origins of Food Allergies

Postnatal

To learn about the components of a food allergy, read the article What is a Food Allergy?

Updated article : October, 2023.

Most often food allergies result from combinations of genetics and environment (family medical history). If the two parents have allergies, the child has a 40–60% chance of developing them. If one parent has allergies, 20–40% chance. Finally, if the parents don’t have allergies, the child has a 5–10% chance.

Babies have a higher risk of developing food allergies when their parents, brothers or sisters:

  • Have episodes of severe eczema with persistent patches;
  • Have already been diagnosed with food allergies;
  • Or have been diagnosed as asthmatic or suffer from seasonal allergies like hay fever.

This shows predisposition, family history of reactions to potential allergens. The foods with the highest level of allergens in children are:

  • Products containing cow milk proteins;
  • Soy;
  • Eggs.

Wheat, corn and beef come next. Peanuts, nuts and fish & seafood follow, at smaller scales of sensitivity.

Research studying food allergies indicates no consensus about cross-reactivity often noted with cow milk protein, bovine protein (beef) and soya. Considering family history, when an allergic child is already present, you need to act on symptoms faster for another baby from the same parents.

As mentioned earlier in this post, however, it is not recommended (2023 update) to restrict the diet of a mother breastfeeding her new baby, even if there is a history of allergy or intolerance in the family. Restricting or delaying a newborn’s exposure to certain food in the breast milk could ultimately put it at greater risk of developing allergies, despite good intentions.

Besides the hereditary aspect, a baby can have an immature intestine with inadequate or excessive defences against proteins normally inoffensive for most people. This can explain an allergy occurring with early exposure to certain allergens before six months of age. The “allergen” protein makes the immune system react, and the body goes on the defensive producing antibodies (chemical substances) that circulate in the blood. This produces different clinical signs and symptoms.

To continue reading, click on the following link – Signs of a Food Allergy.

Discover our videos

Subscribe to a monthly or quarterly package now to access full videos.

Preparing your Stay in the Hospital

Preparing your Stay in the Hospital

Who will go with you to the hospital? What papers do you need to fill in before admission? What is
Domestic Animals and Pregnancy

Domestic Animals and Pregnancy

Isabelle Dion, a veterinarian, explains how to prepare your cat and dog for the arrival of your baby. You can
Pregnancy Monitoring

Pregnancy Monitoring

Did your pregnancy test come back positive? Congratulations! Now, what are the stages and exams that will lead you down
Prematurity

Prematurity

In this video, I am accompanied by Dr. Véronique G. Dorval, a neonatologist and director of the Neonatal Clinic at

Discover other articles

Can water help release my baby’s tensions?

Can water help release my baby’s tensions?

Water therapy can help soothe symptoms and discomfort, both for babies and adults. This is called hydrotherapy or Thalassotherapy.
Signs of Anxiety: Phobias and Post-Traumatic Stress

Signs of Anxiety: Phobias and Post-Traumatic Stress

Many specific intense fears can arise during the perinatal period. Two phobias occur frequently.
Oral Hygiene During Pregnancy

Oral Hygiene During Pregnancy

If you would like to learn more about dental care, go to Dental Care and Pregnancy. Oral hygiene is essential throughout your pregnancy. Did you
Do you have any references for choosing a name for a baby?

Do you have any references for choosing a name for a baby?

Marie, I know you are in contact with many families and babies, and I was wondering if Adeline is a name frequently given to a

Origins of Food Allergies

Par Marie Fortier Temps de lecture: 1 min
0